As the weather warms, now is a great time to clear out your pantry to make room for fresh spring produce to access in an organised way.
The healthy food guide have a great chart that you can print out, showing what’s in season each month. To download this resource click on this link: http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/sites/default/files/Whats-in-season-c-0306_0.pdf
Here are a few tips to get your healthy spring clean underway.
STEP ONE: Out with the processed refined foods:
- Any form of temptation needs to go such as chips, biscuits, chocolate, soft drinks
- Read the ingredient list and throw out any items with hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Remove foods that have a long list of ingredients (likely to be processed and unhealthy) and ingredients that you don’t know what it is?
- Tip: less is more with regards to the ingredient list on packaged foods.
- Minimise ‘white’ refined foods. These foods are white rice, pasta, noodles, white flour and white sugars. Replace with quinoa, buckwheat, oats, spelt and swap white sugars for maple syrup or rice malt syrup which is less refined.
STEP TWO: Restock with healthy pantry staples. Here are some of the items you will find in Nikki’s pantry:
- Coconut oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coconut water
- Coconut cream/milk
- Sea salt
- Manuka Honey
- 100% pure maple syurp
- Rice malt syurp
- Almond meal
- Buckwheat flour
- Coconut flour
- Cacao powder
- Raw nuts/seeds
- Tinned tomatoes
- Apple cider vinegar
- Natural nut butters
- Tinned salmon/sardines